The Genetics Society of AustralAsia (GSA) is the professional organization for scientific researchers and educators in the field of genetics in Australia, New Zealand and the Asia-Pacific region. The Society is dedicated to promoting research and education in genetics and facilitating communication among geneticists and the broader public. It does this by:
- Supporting an annual genetics research conference to promote interactions among geneticists and cultivate the genetics community
- Sponsoring other events to showcase research in genetics
- Representing the collective interests of the genetics community to policymakers and government leaders via its membership of Science Technology Australia
- Highlighting and promoting genetics research by administering and supporting a suite of awards to genetics researchers
- Fostering communication among genetics educators
- Fostering the next generation of genetics researchers by providing travel awards to enable students to attend the annual conference
- Promoting genetics research of members of the society
The society aims to promote a culture of inclusion and equity, and we welcome and encourage participation by members regardless of gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality, disability, religion or age. The society is committed to supporting diversity in all of its activities, including diversity in membership, leadership, recognition, and outreach.
To address the current imbalance of women in some areas we:
- Ensure balanced female and male representation in the invited speakers, proffered talks and conference chairs at the annual conference and other GSA-sponsored events
- Include a balance of women and men in material that promotes the society such as the society website
- Ensure GSA committees such as the executive, conference organising and awards committees are gender balanced
- Build support structures that facilitate attendance at the annual conference by women and men with dependents
The committee can be reached at GSA@asnevents.net.au.